Warmer weather means we can start thinking about our favourite summer foods and possibly even getting the barbeque out of hibernation. This super speedy supper allows you to enjoy delicious food that can be ready as soon as the sun makes an appearance. Plus, it’s so easy to switch up these skewers depending on what vegetables you fancy at the time.
Ingredients (makes 4 skewers)
For the skewers:
1 courgette, cut into 1cm slices
1 red pepper, cut into large bitesize pieces
Approx. 10 mushrooms, halved
1 block of silken tofu, drained and cut into cubes
4 wooden skewers, soaked in water to prevent burning
For the glaze:
1½ tbsp. brown sugar
1½ tbsp. soy sauce
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp. oil
- These veggie skewers can be cooked on either a barbeque or a grill pan. Preheat whichever you intend to use to ensure it reaches a high heat for cooking.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the glaze, adding black pepper to taste. Gently heat in a pan to ensure the sugar is dissolved and to start the caramelisation process.
- Meanwhile, thread the tofu and vegetables on your wooden skewers, ensuring an even spread of ingredients across the four skewers.
- Brush the skewers with the glaze, ensuring to cover all sides. A pastry brush like this one from Mason cash is ideal.
- Place your skewers on the barbeque or grill pan. Turn after 1-2 minutes on each side, brushing on more glaze as you turn.
- Ensure each side benefits from defined char marks for authentic smoky flavour. Serve straight away.
These skewers are great served with a salad, new potatoes or any other barbeque favourite you can think of!