With Easter upon us and the school holidays in full swing, Easter themed baking for all the family is a no brainer. Indulge yourself this weekend with our delicious lemon nest cupcakes , the perfect recipe for this time of year; plus, our James Martin cupcake tin is just the right size for these!
150g self raising flour
150g caster sugar
150g butter, softened
3 eggs, beaten
2 lemons, zested and halved
500g icing sugar
120g butter, softened
30ml lemon juice, from zested lemons
1 tsp lemon zest
36 miniature eggs
- 1. Preheat your oven to 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas Mark 6.
- 2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten egg a little at a time, mixing well between additions.
- 3. Sieve the flour into the mixture and carefully fold the flour and lemon zest (reserving 1 tsp for the icing) to retain the air bubbles. Using your hand, squeeze the juice from 1 lemon half into your mixture and mix to combine.
- Don’t use a juicer for this step as you will end up with too much liquid and a very wet mixture that will take much longer to bake.
- 4. Spoon the mixture evenly between 12 cupcake cases in a tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Use a skewer to check the middles are cooked before leaving to cool prior to icing.
- 5. Whilst the cakes cool, make the icing. Cream together butter and icing sugar, gradually adding the lemon juice as you do. Add more icing sugar if the mixture is too runny or a drop of milk if too stiff.
- 6. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a large star nozzle attached. Starting from the centre of each cake, pipe a swirl outwards to the edge, stopping short of the cases. Sit three miniature eggs in the middle to create a nest effect. Do this with the remaining cupcakes.
For our full range of roast and bakeware click here.